TM

rebuilding lives – restoring relationships



Latest News....Sponsored Canal Walk update...

Renew Counselling is a registered charity No 1084940 and a Company limited by guarantee, registered in England.

Registered office: Sadlers House, 2 Legg Street, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 1AH Company No. 4099810

Renew Counselling is Accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

TM The name, logotype and four squares graphic device are registered Trademarks (Reg No: 3015144) of Renew Counselling

contact details

telephone numbers and addresses for our counselling centres and head office

historic prints &

photo-library

view our large collection of historic photographs which are available to buy or hire

staff & students pages

restricted pages for staff and students

resource centre

access downloadable posters, leaflets, logos, corporate identity guidelines etc.

Site designed and maintained by Desbrow Thompson Chaffe, London

Renew Counselling is a registered charity No 1084940 and a Company limited by guarantee, registered in England.

Registered office: Sadlers House, 2 Legg Street, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 1AH Company No. 4099810

Renew Counselling is Accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

TM The name, logotype and four squares graphic device are registered Trademarks (Reg No: 3015144) of Renew Counselling

contact details

telephone numbers and addresses for our counselling centres and head office

latest news

fnd out what is happening at Renew and keep up-to-date with our latest news

staff & students pages


Staff click here


Students click here

photo library

our archive of historic photographs - showing life in the East End of London over the last 110 years- is now available to view and rent

Site designed and maintained by Desbrow Thompson Chaffe, London

The origins of Renew Counselling


WHCM was founded in the ethos of the Christian faith. Originally it was called the West Ham Central Mission and was the vision of a minister called Robert Rowntree Clifford who led a small Baptist church in West Ham. He was joined by his sister Mary Clifford in 1904 and two Deaconesses, they devoted their whole lives to the work of the church and what became known as the ‘Mission’.


Responding to poverty and deprivation the Rowntree Cliffords initially turned their attention to the terrible living conditions in East London. Many families lived in slums and relied on the docks for work, yet the ship-building industry was at a standstill. There was poverty, lack of work and starvation amongst the poor. The mission

provided shelter, food as well as work and helping to restore people’s dignity. As reported in the first annual report of the West Ham Central Mission 1905:


“Many had heard that we wanted 100 men to chop wood for six hours and at the end they would receive three shillings Their haggard faces, their eager desire for a ticket and their respectful behaviour presented one of the saddest phases of life. The men wanted work, not charity. But if there s no work, there must be relief for starving families’.


The Mission’s work continued throughout the First World War, and a hostel built on the Barking road and run by Miss Clifford, provided relief accommodation to people rendered homeless in East London as a result of a huge explosion at a munitions factory.


In December 1918 HRH Queen Mary paid a surprise visit to the Mission, her first of three. The Mission church was built during the 1920s and during the Second World War it was a major provider of social services including a soup kitchen, night shelter and medical services.


The work of the Mission has changed over the years in response to the needs of the population it served. The Greenwoods estate in Stock provided care for young people through to the 70’s when it became a therapeutic residential community for those suffering from mental health distress. This closed in 1999 as a result in the changing emphasis in social care policy. For the future, the work would respond to the emotional and mental health needs of society through the provision of counselling. The Charity WHCM was created to enable the delivery of this work, with a new council of trustees led by Brian Wilkinson.


In 2013 WHCM Counselling and Support changed it’s name to Renew Counselling to better reflect the work that we do.


Over 108 years since it’s foundation Renew still provides support through counselling particularly for those who cannot afford these services elsewhere. The founding faith and vision which inspired Robert Rowntree Clifford is still present and the reason why many work at Renew, as it now responds to the needs of communities across East London and Essex.


DONATE

Renew’s therapeutic services are accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.

Renew Counselling is a registered charity No 1084940 and a Company limited by guarantee, registered in England.

Registered office: Sadlers House, 2 Legg Street, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 1AH Company No. 4099810

TM The name, logotype and four squares graphic device are registered Trademarks (Reg No: 3015144) of Renew Counselling

contact details

telephone numbers and addresses for our counselling centres and head office

latest news

fnd out what is happening at Renew and keep up-to-date with our latest news

staff & students pages


Staff click here


Management click here


Students click here

Site designed and maintained by Desbrow Thompson Chaffe, London

photo library

our archive of historic photographs - showing life in the East End of London over the last 110 years- is now available to view and rent